Yorkshire Landscapes

A series of images inspired by the Calder Valley, between Todmorden and Brighouse, and its tributaries, the Hebble and the Ryburn. The project is entitled Points of View, Constructing the Landscape.

Dave Pugh, longdesc=

Steep Lane Sowerby
Digital print
60cm x 90cm

Historically a part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, Sowerby appears in the Domesday Book of 1086, and was an important settlement long before Halifax began to dominate. The ancient district of Sowerbyshire, a stretch of forest centred around the town leading down the Ryburn and Calder valleys and almost up to Halifax, was a Royal chase. From this point you can see Wainhouse Tower on the right of the image


Dave Pugh, longdesc=

View from Baitings Reservoir
60cm x 90cm
Digital print

Baitings Reservoir lies in the valley of the River Ryburn. When the water level falls low, the old road and the bridge across the Ryburn Valley are exposed. It was begun in 1948, and opened on the 14th November 1956 by the the Mayor of Wakefield. The cost of building the dam was £1,420,000.

 


Dave Pugh, longdesc=

Blackstone Edge Road
60cm x 90cm
Digital Print

Part of the Le Tour route Blackstone Edge road is part of the famous climb out of Mytholmroyd on the B6138. Popular with cyclists practicing for the never ending slopes of the Alps or Pyrenees, this stretch has the longest steady incline of any road in England: 286m over five-and-a-half miles.

Dave Pugh painting  

Krumlin
50cm x 60cm
Digital print

Nearly 50 years on people still love to talk about the ill-fated 1970 Krumlin Pop Festival which some said was destined to be the Glastonbury of the North. This is where it all happened!

Dave Pugh painting

Footpath Triangle
50cm x 70cm
Digital Print

This path runs from Triangle to Sowerby through Lower Breck Farm.

 Dave Pugh painting

View of Stoodley Pike from Sykes Gate
57cm x 92cm
Digital Print

The monument replaced an earlier structure, started in 1814 and commemorating the defeat of Napoleon and the surrender of Paris.
It was completed in 1815, after the Battle of Waterloo , but collapsed in 1854 after a lightning strike, and decades of weathering


Dave Pugh painting

Stoodley Pike
69cm x 95cm
Digital Print

Stoodley Pike is a 1,300-foot hill, noted for the Stoodley Pike Monument at its summit, which dominates the moors above Todmorden. The monument was designed in 1854 by local architect James Green, and completed in 1856 at the end of the Crimean War. The monument replaced an earlier structure, started in 1814 and commemorating the defeat of Napoleon and the surrender of Paris. It was completed in 1815, after the Battle of Waterloo.


Dave Pugh painting

View of Stoodley Pike from Sykes Gate
57cm x 92cm
Digital Print

The monument replaced an earlier structure, started in 1814 and commemorating the defeat of Napoleon and the surrender of Paris. It was completed in 1815, after the Battle of Waterloo , but collapsed in 1854 after a lightning strike, and decades of weathering.




Dave Pugh painting

Height Road Hebden Bridge
55cm x 90cm
Digital Print

From this vantage point you can see both Stoodly Pike and Heptonstall Village which is on the route of the Calderdale Way.

 

 

 

Dave Pugh, longdesc=

Sowerby Bridge
60 x 90cm
Digital Print
 
After 1820 numerous public buildings were constructed in Sowerby Bridge, testifying to its growing prosperity, this included a privately funded town hall with clock tower, however the building was never used by the council.
Digital Print

Dave Pugh, longdesc=

Dean Clough
75cm x 90cm
Digital Print

Dean Clough is a group of large factory buildings built in the 1840s60s for Crossley's becoming one of the world's largest carpet factories, half a mile long with 1,250,000 square feet of floorspace. The Grade II listed site for used for various commercial and cultural uses. It is now seen as a leading example of successful urban regeneration
70cm x 50cm
Digital Print


Dave Pugh, longdesc=

Triangle Allotments
70cm x 50cm
Digital Print

Following the Inclosure Acts and the Commons Act 1876 the land available for personal cultivation by the poor was greatly diminished. To fulfil the need for land, allotment legislation was included. The law was first fully codified in the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908, it was modified by the Allotments Act 1922 and subsequent Allotments Acts up until 1950. Under the acts a local authority is required to maintain an "adequate provision" of land, usually a large allotment field which can then be subdivided into allotment gardens for individual residents at a low rent.

Dave Pugh painting

 

Elland Bridge
64cm x 90cm
Digital Print

 With industrial growth in the 19th Century, the population of Elland expanded rapidly and working practices changed, as work in mills and factories gradually replaced textile manufacture in the home. In addition to the manufacture of woollen and cotton cloth, industries in the area over the years have included quarrying, coal-mining, brick-making, engineering and sweet-making. To the left of the bridge is the Britannia Buildings, a former bank which has at the apex of the pediment, a large figure of Britannia. Floodwater washed out the foundations of the 1811 bridge and caused severe structural damage and a crack in the road surface on 29 December 2015, the bridge has since been rebuilt.

 

 

Dave Pugh painting

Rose Bank King Cross
50cm x 63cm
Digital Print

 During the First English Civil War Halifax was a Royalist stronghold, with King Cross as a key outpost, on the roads between Lancashire and West Yorkshire, with the Parliamentarians holding parts of the Calder Valley. Prior to 1850 the area consisted of small hamlets and agricultural fields, in the parish of Halifax. With the onset of the industrial revolution, through the 18th and 19th centuries, the population steadily grew and King Cross was made a separate parish in 1845.

Dave Pugh painting

The Piece Hall
34cm x 75cm
Digital Print

The Piece Hall has had many roles throughout its long history. Built for the trading of locally made, hand-woven pieces of woollen cloth, its original purpose disappeared with the coming of industrialisation. By 1815, the building was being used as venue for political meetings and public spectaculars  including novelties such as balloon flights and tightrope walking.



Dave Pugh painting

Ripponden
60cm x 85cm
Digital Print

Ripponden is situated on the River Ryburn. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is the site of a Roman settlement, and there is a Roman Road over nearby Blackstone Edge, a rocky ridge of Millstone Grit. On the afternoon of Sunday 6th July 2014, the world's greatest cycle race and largest free spectator event  Le Tour de France  passes through the village.